Tuesday, July 16, 2013

About Today: How do I Know When My Tomato is Ripe?

From Bob Schulties, your About Today Editor
One of the few memories I have involving my grandmother is the tomato patch she had at her house. It wasn't big and I can't remember eating any of the tomatoes, but the smell of tomatoes on the vine bring me back to hot summer days in her yard.

How do I Know When My Tomato is Ripe? 
With the recent invention of green and "heirloom" tomatoes, how in the world do you know if it's ready? We probably should teach tomatoes to have those pop-up dealies like turkeys are born with.

Pizza: The Easiest Way to Get Kids to Eat Tomatoes 
My kids wince at the idea of tomatoes. That's where pizza comes in! Like a superhero saving kids from a tomato-deprived upbringing, pizza can, at the very least, give everyone some fresh tomato goodness. Is there anything pizza can't do?
Search Related Topics:  sauces  pizza  pizza toppings

Heirloom Tomatoes 
Mrs. Bob came home with an heirloom tomato that just... Well, it wasn't gonna win any beauty contests, but, boy howdy, did that 'mater taste like some kind of goodness! Are you willing to trade beauty for taste?
Search Related Topics:  tomatoes  summer vegetables  fall vegetables

No Time to Cook? 
Never fear, tomatoes are here! OK, OK, you have to cook the pasta (which, by the way, was called spaghetti when I was growing up), but that's it. Seriously, this recipe takes as long as it does to cook pas spaghetti.
Search Related Topics:  tomatoes  pastas  quick dinners

 


Related Searches
Featured Articles
5 Myths About the Obama Executive Orders
Rocky Mountaineer, a Luxury Train Through Canadian Rockies
Why Are Women Happier After Divorce?
Can You Do Yoga in the Water?
Video: How Much Money Do You Need to Retire?
Meet the Contestants of 'So You Think You Can Dance'

 
More from About.com
Run Your First 5K 
Even couch potatoes can be ready for a 5K with just a couple months of training. Read more...>

Help! I'm Too Busy 
Time and stress management tips to help you feel as though you have more time. Read more...>

No comments:

Post a Comment